Know Your Audience
So you’ve been asked to give a talk. That’s quite a complement when you consider how many speakers there are to choose from. The best way to return the complement is to customize your talk for your audience. They’ll appreciate the personal attention.
Here are some tips to help you know your audience before you speak:
Ask yourself the following:
- Who is in the audience?
- What does the world look like through their eyes?
- What is the age range of the audience?
- Where do they live?
- Where do they work?
- Do they share any common beliefs?
- What is their salary range?
- Why are they in the audience?
Two important questions to ask yourself:
- What is the most important thing I can give the audience? What is rooted in me?
- How can I challenge the thinking of my audience?